The adoption process is long and emotional. It took us a year just to complete the home study process and our agency told us it takes an average of 12 to 18 months to be matched. That’s almost three years from the date we decided to pursue adoption! Luckily, we both have hobbies to keep us busy while we wait. We are excited to share all of our hobbies with our children one day!
- Astronomy: We has recently picked up astronomy and astrophotography as a hobby and purchased a high-powered telescope to view deep space objects such as galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae. We’re also both members of the local astronomy club, which grants us access to dark sky sites and even more powerful telescopes. There’s nothing like laying on a blanket on summer nights, looking up at the stars, and seeing the Milky Way with your own eyes.
- Backpacking: We have only been “backpackers” for a couple of years, but we have gone to a bunch of cool places in that short period of time. Chris backpacked in the Grand Canyon with his dad, uncle, and brother. Together, we have backpacked in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Kentucky, and Rocky Mountain National Park. This summer we are planning to go on a three night backpacking trip in Yellowstone National Park (bear country!!). Backpacking is the best way to avoid crowds in a national park.
- Board Games: We’re not talking about your traditional board games like Monopoly, Clue, and Life (although we do have those). We play a lot of eclectic board games like Pandemic, Root, Wingspan, and Axis & Allies. We have a group of friends and coworkers that we meet up with just about once a month to hang out and try new board games. It can get a little competitive, but everyone always has a good time (when they win - just kidding, sort of).
- Boating: We own a small, 18-foot boat that’s perfect for skiing, tubing, and fishing. We usually take it to a decent sized lake close to our house, but lately we have been taking it to Norris Lake in Tennessee in the summers, which is where Chris’ dad keeps his boat. Its the perfect activity for hot summer days and its fun to get everyone together on the lake at the same time. We also have a couple of kayaks we take out on the river or lake when we don’t feel like towing our boat anywhere. It’s usually just as fun, especially when we’re looking for something quieter.
- Sports: We’re both big sports fans. Our favorite sport is baseball, and we try to go to a few games each year. In fact, one of Chris’ favorite foods is ballpark hotdogs, of which he usually has several whenever we go. We’re also season ticket holders of the local MLS soccer team, which has been a lot of fun over the last few years. Although neither of us are especially athletic, we have played co-ed softball in a local rec league for over ten years - same team name and everything! We’ve only won the league once, but we sense another championship season coming this year!
- Video Games: We don’t play many video games, but our favorite is Sea of Thieves, in which you play a pirate and work together to sail your ship to look for treasure. We like it because its a game we can play together. Felicia’s not a fan when other players sink our ship, but she’s getting better! Chris plays more video games than Felicia, but he primarily plays with his friends who live out of state. For him, its a good way to keep in touch with everyone.
- Fly Fishing: We both enjoy fly fishing quite a bit. Every time we go on one of our “nature vacations” we try to organize a guided fly fishing trip on a local river or stream. We’ve been guided fishing trips in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Colorado. There’s nothing like the rush of having a fish on the line - especially when it’s so rare for us…. We mainly fish for trout, but we have a local river by our house that is great for small mouth bass fishing in the summer.