Dear Expectant Parent
Dear Expectant Parent,
Where to start?! The magnitude of the decision you are making is overwhelming, and I don’t feel like there are any words to do it, or you, justice. I’m hoping to express a little bit of that sentiment by sharing with you a letter I’ve written to this future child:
[Dear Little One,
I can’t wait to meet you. I've spent years hoping and longing for you. Your first parents who picked me to parent you – there are no words to convey how grateful I am for them. Their decision takes incredible bravery. And tremendous selflessness.
I promise you will always know how much they love you and what a tremendous sacrifice they made for you. I will make sure of that.
I admire them. They enabled me to become a mother. To you.
We will always honor them throughout our lives. And I promise to always support your relationship with one another.
There’s a quote that goes “Children are never really ours, they are just entrusted to us for a time by God.” He has been generous to entrust you with them for a time, and with me for a time. And for both of these, I am beyond grateful. His plans for you existed before any of us knew of your existence. How incredible!
I am full of hope for your life:
• I pray that you love Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him.
• That you draw nearer and nearer to Him with each passing day, and put God first in your life above everyone and everything.
• I pray that you become a self-sufficient and independent adult.
• I pray that you are joyful and happy, with a full heart.
• I pray for your health – physically, mentally and emotionally.
• I pray that we naturally communicate well with each other. Yet continue to work at it. That we're patient with one another.
• I pray that God uses you as a blessing in the lives of others.
• I pray that you're kind, humble, and compassionate with a servant's spirit and a love for people.
• I pray that you are confident in who God made you.
• I hope you’ll learn other languages and travel both the country and the globe; that you’ll get to know other cultures and experience other ways of life.
• I hope we laugh together each day and do our best to take the trying times in stride.
• I pray for your future wife. That you love her as Christ loves the church. And that she is a loving, generous and kind wife and mother. And that God is working in each of your lives to prepare you for married life with one another.
• I pray you find a career that you love. Something you’re truly passionate about and gives you fulfillment. I will do everything in my power to help you find that path.
• I hope you are blessed with loads of self-awareness. And that you value transparency.
• I am excited for a life full of adventures together!
I promise to do everything possible to lead and support you in each of these (and everything else!), including exposing you to the people and opportunities that will enrich your life and aide in your growth and experiences.
I love you, little one.]
I already feel a love, respect and the utmost appreciation for you. That may sound cheesey, but I do. I look forward to getting to know you, and learning more about your wants and desires for this child, and for yourself.