When we met in San Francisco in 2011, Rebecca was working at an international school in Shanghai, China and Jay was about to start a new job in Seoul, South Korea. We kept in touch and ended up dating long distance between our two cities. We fell in love quickly and shared many exciting adventures during our time abroad, such as skiing in Japan, exploring the temples of Burma, and riding a camper van through New Zealand. A couple years later, Jay proposed to Rebecca minutes before they were due to leave for the airport for a trip to Belize. Of course she said yes and they spent the next ten days celebrating!
We had our dream wedding in a castle in Rebecca’s hometown of Kronberg, Germany. It was our very own fairytale, with our dearest friends and family that flew in from all over the world to share it with us.
Our relationship is built on trust and mutual respect. We’re best friends and try to live life with a sense of adventure and humor.
In October of 2015, we became a family of three when we welcomed our daughter, Eleanor, to the world. Being parents brings us a greater joy than we every imagined possible and every day feels like an adventure as we watch Eleanor learn and develop into her own little person. Eleanor is very excited at the thought of having a younger sibling and talks to us about wanting to help feed bottles and sharing her toys.
We’re proud homeowners of a 1910 Craftsman home in a vibrant and family-friendly neighborhood of Seattle. We’re in walking distance of playgrounds, parks, two community centers, a hospital, grocery stores, restaurants, and shops. We’re also a short drive away from one of Seattle’s most beautiful beaches and the city zoo.
We love that Seattle has all the perks of a big city such as theater, shopping, sporting events, and international food but also easy access to the outdoors. Mountains, lakes, and beaches are all accessible within the city and throughout the surrounding area.
Jay is a fun-loving, goofy, caring dad who is fully involved in all aspects of parenting. As a dad, he loves telling stories, playing outdoors, reading books, and acting silly.
Fun Facts about Jay:
– He was born and raised in the Washington, DC area. His father, a doctor from India and his mother, a nurse from New Jersey, met while working at the same hospital and raised a family of four boys. Most of Jay’s family now lives in the Seattle area and he sees them frequently.
– Jay earned his Bachelor’s degree and MBA from the University of Virginia
– Jay loves everything outdoors, and hopes to instill in his children an appreciation of nature and passion for adventure. He can’t wait to take kids skiing, snowboarding, camping, fly fishing, hiking, rock climbing…the list goes on and on!
– Jay played a variety of sports growing up, but excelled at squash. He was a nationally ranked player in high school and captain of his team in college.
– He has lived in Virginia, Spain, Colorado, Wyoming, South Korea, California and Washington.
– He currently works as a Product Manager at Amazon.
Rebecca is a kind, patient, and caring mother who loves being home full-time. Being a parent was always her biggest dream and she’s finding it every bit as fulfilling as she always hoped she would. As a mother she enjoys baking and cooking projects, long nature walks, and getting messy with art projects.
Fun Facts about Rebecca:
– Rebecca is a German and American dual citizen.
– She speaks fluent German, French and conversational Mandarin. Her family speaks German and she has chosen this as the language to speak at home with our children.
– Rebecca graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a Master’s in English Literature and French.
– She’s a certified Montessori pre-school and kindergarten teacher. She has taught children in Beijing, Sonoma CA, Shanghai, Seoul, and Seattle WA.
– She loves to cook, including Chinese, Indian, Greek, German and Italian food.
– Other hobbies include reading, running, spin cycling and home decorating. While living in China she taught two spin classes a week!
– Rebecca has lived in Belgium, Germany, England, France, Scotland, China, South Korea, New Jersey, California, and Washington.