We graduated from Georgetown University in the same year, but we didn’t meet until after graduation when a mutual friend hatched a fateful plan to bring us together. Her plan worked, and we’ve been a couple ever since. We got married in a small church ceremony in 2004, and continued building a wonderful life together in Berkeley, California.
Despite coming from very different family backgrounds—one from a traditional, midwestern family and the other from a family of Cuban immigrants—we share an amazingly strong connection that makes us feel complete. We’ve built our family on love, respect, and a healthy dose of laughter and adventure. In 2018, we became the proud parents to Joseph, our first adoption miracle. Becoming parents has only strengthened our bond, and it has brought us closer to our community than we could have ever expected.
Our community includes:
A big extended family that love being part of our child’s life. It includes three grandparents, and so many aunts, uncles and cousins that we’ve lost count
A tight-knit group of friends in the Bay Area and across the country, many of whom are building families of their own
A loving church community that is warm, inclusive, and always looking out for us
A neighborhood community that’s active, social and welcoming
We’ve put a lot of effort into being good parents. We have careers at flexible, family-oriented companies with very generous family benefits. We also own a kid-friendly home in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, near great schools and right next to several community playgrounds where we spend many hours playing with Joseph every week. We feel extremely lucky to be at a point in our lives and careers where we can focus on raising a happy, healthy family.
We feel very lucky to live in Berkeley, in a diverse, culturally rich community just south of the University of California’s premier campus and the city’s downtown shopping district. We own a comfortable, three-bedroom home with a big play room, a bright backyard, and an awesome park and playground next door. Our kitchen is huge, and we spend a lot of time in there trying out new recipes and cooking together as a family. From our kitchen window, we can see the playground in the neighborhood park, which is always filled with kids and families. As a family, we hope to take advantage of everything our community has to offer, including:
- Excellent public and private schools
- Wonderful parks, playgrounds, and sports facilities
- Museums, cultural centers, and libraries with great programs for kids
- Fresh, healthy food from local farmers markets and great kid-friendly restaurants
- Quick access to BART so we can go on adventures across the Bay Area
Jason is a loving, devoted, and dependable partner and papa. While he is more introverted than I am, his warm heart and deeply caring nature make him the perfect partner for me. He is my constant source of support. He is responsible and practical, but also a lot of fun. Watching him become a father has been an amazing gift. After nearly two decades together, I cannot imagine my life without him.
- Hometown: Lincoln, Nebraska
- Education: Georgetown University and UC Berkeley
- Career: helping people use data to tell stories and make decisions
- Musical favorites: dance divas, from Madonna to Whitney to Lady Gaga
- Favorite food: hot sauce (the spicier the better!)
- His best family dish: Grammy Ost’s sugar cookies
- Favorite holiday: Thanksgiving
- Hidden talent: can solve just about any puzzle—whether it’s a difficult crossword or a broken kitchen appliance, he’s not afraid to jump in and figure it out
- Guilty pleasure: factory tours (he loves to see the big machines behind how stuff gets made)
What makes Jason a great papa: Joseph and I look up to Jason. He’s super smart, intensely curious, and he’s always teaching us stuff. As a papa, he fosters a sense of adventure and curiosity in our family. I know Joseph loves him, learns from him, and looks up to him as much as I do.
Andy is happy and outgoing, the type of person everyone wishes they had as a friend. He is very giving of himself to others, and always finding ways to make the very best out of any situation. Andy’s love of music and good food is contagious, and it’s fun to watch our child learn to explore the world in Andy’s vibrant presence..
- Hometown: Orlando, Florida
- Education: Georgetown University
- Career: coaching people to be better communicators
- Musical favorites: Motown and classic rock, from Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding to Paul Simon and Billy Joel
- Favorite food: french fries
- His best family dish: Cuban black beans
- Hidden talent: cooking meals out of thin air—I have looked in the refrigerator and seen nothing to eat, yet Andy can somehow come up with a full meal
- Guilty pleasure: Karaoke (he’s really good!)
What makes Andy a great dad: Andy is the kindest and most joyful person I have ever met. He has a light that shines from within him, and this light spreads to all those around him. It’s a tremendous gift to watch Andy share his warmth and love—not to mention his fabulous cooking and silly songs—with our child.