We've been married for 14 years and together since college.
Despite coming from very different family backgrounds—one from a traditional, midwestern family and the other from a family of Cuban immigrants—we share an amazingly strong connection. We’ve built our marriage on love, respect, and a healthy dose of laughter and adventure. We’re partners, we’re family, and we’re each other’s best friends. Now we can’t wait to be dads together.
We've build a wonderful life together in Berkeley, California, and our community includes:
- A big extended family that can’t wait to be a part of our child’s life. It includes four grandparents, and so many aunts, uncles and cousins that we’ve lost count
- A tight-knit group of friends in the Bay Area and across the country, many of whom are starting families of their own
- A loving church community that is warm, welcoming, and always looking out for us
- A lovable Boston Terrier named Otis who is great at sniffing, snuggling, and making babies giggle.
We’ve also put a lot of effort into preparing to be parents. We have careers at flexible, family-oriented companies with very generous family benefits. We also own a kid-friendly home in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, near great schools and right next to a playground where we hope to spend many days playing with our child. We feel extremely lucky to be at a point in our lives where we can focus on raising a happy, healthy child.
We feel very lucky to live in Berkeley, in a diverse, culturally rich community just south of the University of California’s premier campus and the city’s downtown shopping district. We own a comfortable, three-bedroom home with a big play room, a bright backyard, and an awesome park and playground next door. Our kitchen is huge, and we spend a lot of time in there trying out new recipes and cooking together as a family. From our kitchen window, we can see the playground in the neighborhood park, which is always filled with kids and families. As a family, we hope to take advantage of everything our community has to offer, including:
- Excellent public and private schools
- Wonderful parks, playgrounds, and sports facilities
- Museums, cultural centers, and libraries with great programs for kids
- Fresh, healthy food from local farmers markets and great kid-friendly restaurants
- Quick access to BART so we can go on adventures across the Bay Area
Jason is a loving, devoted, and dependable partner. While he is more introverted than I am, his warm heart and deeply caring nature make him the perfect partner for me. He is my constant source of support. He is responsible and practical, but also a lot of fun. After more than 16 years together, I cannot imagine my life without him.
- Hometown: Lincoln, Nebraska
- Education: Georgetown University and UC Berkeley
- Career: helping people use data to tell stories and make decisions
- Favorite music: dance divas, from Madonna to Whitney to Lady Gaga
- Favorite food: hot sauce (the spicier the better!)
- His best family dish: Grammy Ost’s sugar cookies
- Favorite holiday: Thanksgiving
- Hidden talent: can solve just about any puzzle—whether it’s a difficult crossword or a broken kitchen appliance, he’s not afraid to jump in and figure it out
- Guilty pleasure: Factory tours (he loves to see the big machines behind how stuff gets made)
- Why Jason will make a great dad: I look up to Jason. He’s super smart, intensely curious, and I’m constantly learning from him. As a dad, I know he’ll foster this same sense of adventure and curiosity in our child, and I know our child will love him, learn from him, and look up to him just as I do.
Andy is happy and outgoing, the type of person everyone wishes they had as a friend. He is very giving of himself to others, and he is always upbeat and making the best of every situation. Any child raised by Andy will be a lover of music and food, and an explorer of the world around them.
- Hometown: Orlando, Florida
- Education: Georgetown University
- Career: coaching people to be better communicators
- Musical favorites: Motown and classic rock, from Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding to Paul Simon and Billy Joel
- Favorite food: french fries
- His best family dish: Cuban black beans
- Favorite holiday: Christmas
- Hidden talent: cooking meals out of thin air—I have looked in the refrigerator and seen nothing to eat, yet Andy can somehow come up with a full meal
- Guilty pleasure: Karaoke (he’s really good!)
- Why Andy will make a great dad: Andy is the kindest and most joyful person I have ever met. He has a light that shines from within him, and this light spreads to all those around him. It would be a tremendous gift for Andy to share his warmth and love—not to mention his fabulous cooking and silly songs—with our child.